Model Language for Employer Notification to Employees of the Availability of Unemployment Compensation
An example with employer reminders to help during the COVID-19 State of Emergency.
USVI-April 2, 2020- During the COVID-19 State of Emergency, it is important that employers remember to fulfill the legal requirement to give advance notice to workers when considering a reduction in hours, layoff, or furlough. The Families First Coronavirus Response Act section Division D: Emergency Unemployment Insurance Stabilization Act, Public Law (Pub. L) 116-127 and the Unemployment Insurance Program Letter 13-20 outlines the model language that employers should use when notifying workers about separation and availability of Unemployment Benefits. The following example is guidance on how the employer should transmit information to the individual(s) affected by downsizing.
Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits are available to workers who are unemployed and who meet the requirements of state UI eligibility laws. You may file a UI claim in the first week that employment stops or work hours are reduced.
For assistance or more information about filing a UI claim, call St. Croix District at (340) 713- 3425 or contact the St. Thomas District at (340) 715-5725 or visit www.vidol.gov, to reach the VI Department of Labor and file an application for Unemployment Benefits.
You will need to provide the state UI agency with the following information in order for the state to process your claim:
- Your full legal name; 2. Your Social Security Number; and 3. Your authorization to work (if you are not a US Citizen or resident.)
To file a UI claim by phone call: St. Croix District at 340-713-3425 or contact the St. Thomas District at 340-715-5725.
Unemployment Insurance Reminders:
Any employer that needs to reduce hours, furlough, layoff, or reduced staff hours, the Virgin Islands Department of Labor is requesting that employers do the following:
- Send a letter to the Unemployment Insurance Division that includes the names of the affected employees in advance of the reduction of hours to twenty (20) a week, discharge or layoff.
- You must also contact the Department of Labor directly at the following numbers to gain information on services that can be provided for affected individuals:
- St. Thomas 340-776-3700 at the following extensions: 2094 or 2035
- St. Croix 340-773-1994 at the following extensions: 2152 or 2154